Monday, August 20, 2007

My First Massage in KL

I had been complaining about a backache last night which, I think, was caused by quickly scooping up Stacy at Jusco while she was running to keep us from having to leave the store. Before going to sleep, I applied some Tiger Balm cream which my mom had purchased during her Singapore trip. However, when I woke up this morning, I still felt the pain which starts from the waist going down to my thighs.

I actually had no plans of going to a spa today, although I checked the price list at the one nearest to our place but I found it too pricey (138 RM for a one hour massage). Anyway, I went out at 4pm to take Andie to her Enopi session. After dropping her off, I was thinking of checking out a nearby preschool for Stacy when I saw a parking space when I turned the corner. Finding a parking space at Desa Sri Hartamas is usually near impossible (it's like looking for parking at SM Megamall during the weekend). So when I saw the slot, I immediately took it.

It usually takes Andie 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours to finish her worksheets at Enopi so I was already starting to run options in my mind on how to "kill time". When I got out of the car, the first thing I saw was a spa called "Beauty Gate". I got excited and quickly rang the doorbell. The lady who opened the door was quite tall and was dressed in a beige skirt and blouse. When I began to inquire about their services and whether they accepted credit cards (I had minimal cash on hand), she motioned that she could not speak English so she will have to call her boss to speak to me.

When I talked to the "boss", I was informed that I could pay via credit card and that their promotional prices were 80 RM for an aromatherapy massage (1 hour)and 60 RM for a traditional massage (1 hour). She also will be throwing in a free 10-minute foot spa if I avail of a body massage. Clearly convinced that I was meant to be there and that I deserved this "treat", I decided to try their traditional massage.

I was surprised that the lady who greeted me at the reception area was also the one who will perform the services. We started with the foot spa and while initially I felt that the water was too hot (I seriously thought I'd get first degree burns), "Big Ethel" (the nickname I thought for my therapist ... haha) put in some more tap water and the foot bath became very relaxing. She started to rub my feet and toes; afterwhich she put them back in the hot water and added a powdery substance into the wooden basin. She massaged my tired feet for a couple of minutes while it was soaked in the water. Then, she left and came back with some hot tea. The foot spa was over in 10 minutes, as promised.

Then we went into the private room to start the body massage. I won't go into details of how the massage was executed. Suffice to say, it was a very good one and was well worth the 60 RM I paid for. "Big Ethel" was clearly a well-trained masseuse. She delivered a "balanced" massage, which was 80% relaxing and desirable (using strokes that make you almost doze off) and 20% painful yet invigorating (applying moderate to hard pressure on the joints and muscles).
Overall, I give Beauty Gate an 8 out of 10. I will definitely go back there for more.


Beauty Gate Sdn. Bhd
8, Plaza Crystal Villa II, Jalan 22A/70A
Desa Sri Hartamas
50480 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 603-60231266

No comments: